Saturday, November 21, 2015

Happy 30th anniversary, Iwade Rotary club!

Hey, so I decided that because I'll be studying for exams all next week (Yikes!) I'd make a blog post now, even though it's a little short.

The main topic is going to be about Iwade Rotary Club's thirtieth anniversary! So what exactly does this entail?

Well, first it means a long, long band concert in which the brass band played a lot of music. We played stuff like a Deep Purple Medley (and I do indeed mean the old American band. I really liked the arrangement of Burn.) momokuro (I have no idea what that means, but it sounded really cool) and other various Japanese tunes that I didn't know. We finished it off with a concert with the Iwade middle school bands. We played Aladdin and generally had a grand old time.

Immediately after, some Rotary people took me to a kimono shop to get fitted. And wasn't that an experience. I have never felt so decadent in my life, wearing about thirty pounds of heavy silk. It was incredible, and walking was very difficult because I had about fifty percent less room to move in. Also, the shoes were about six sizes too small, so walking anywhere made me feel like I was going to fall over.

Aaaand I'm complaining. It was still gorgeous, and the most expensive thing I think I've ever worn. Here are some lovely pictures. Look at the detail on this thing!



Exquisite, is it not?

But OH MY GOODNESS, I had to eat dinner with this thing on.

Let  me repeat: I had to EAT DINNER with this kimono on.

I thought I was going to die. I must have covered my lap with about six inches of napkins. That was the most stressful thing I've ever done, EVER.

Speaking of, the food was quite delicious. I was very pleased with the selection. I was also tricked into eating some super spicy Japanese herb, but that's neither here nor there.

I had a job at this event, though; I would stand there and look pretty. No, just kidding, that was only one of my jobs. My actual job was to carry a tray to the president of the Rotary Club and stand there so he could take the awards and stuff that were sitting on it. I did not fail, thankfully. I think. I didn't fall, so I guess that's the best I can hope for.

Other than that, it's been business as usual. Brass band still practices, I still rib the Australians (we played this Japanese board game the other day. HAHA. HAH. I nearly won, but then I got sent back to the end. And then Dimitri got first, and then Ronen got second, until it was just Jaida and I. But there was this one square that we kept landing on that sent us back to the same point in the game. I eventually made it, but she didn't. Now she has to write an essay in Japanese about her weekend.) I found out my last host family (I will be having three, instead of the two that I'd originally assume), and the last family seems like very nice people.

Sayonara!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! And did I mention, WOW. What a nice kimono. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look really amazing in that kimono. I saw in the picture, some Japanese armor in the back round. Was the awards at a restaurant? Looking forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete